The College recognizes as sufficient training:
- A holder of a Secondary School Diploma or the equivalent issued by a school board or equivalent;
- A person with professional experience related to the program’s field of specialization;
- A person with relevant training related to the program’s field of specialization.
Presentation of program
The program is based on the competencies of the specific training of a Diploma of College Studies in Accounting & Management Technology in line with accounting and financial management using appropriate software. Competencies related to administrative management (managing personnel, business start-up, etc.) have been excluded from the programin favour of knowledge of IT-based accounting and financial management.
The program aims to give the student a global vision of the accounting and financial cycle so that, with the help of IT tools that are the norm today, they can support managers and/or accountants in their work by providing them with reliable accounting and financial information. They will become familiar with payroll processing norms and standards.
The program is more practical starting in session 2, allowing the student to build on the basic theoretical aspects at the beginning and gradually place them in work situations and perfect their practical application and integration of learning.
Rigour and a strong work ethic, which are crucial in this area of employment, will be taught and evaluated throughout the various courses.
The computerized financial management programis designed to prepare students to become qualified as accounting and financial management technicians.
This occupation corresponds to the National Occupational Classification of NOC-1311 Accounting technicians and bookkeepers.
Accounting technicians and bookkeepers perform some or all of the following duties:
- Keep financial records and establish, maintain and balance various accounts using computerized bookkeeping systems;
- Post journal entries and reconcile accounts, prepare trial balance of books, maintain general ledgers and prepare financial statements;
- Calculate and prepare cheques for payrolls and for utility, tax and other bills;
- Complete and submit tax remittance forms, workers' compensation forms, pension contribution forms and other government documents;
- Prepare tax returns and perform other personal bookkeeping services;
- Prepare other statistical, financial and accounting reports. Students will be prepared to work in a field related to retail trade, in particular.
Job titles that graduates of the program hold include:
- Accounting bookkeeper
- Accounting technician
- Bookkeeping clerk
- Budget officer
- Finance officer
- Financial officer
- Senior bookkeeper
At the end of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Use standard accounting and financial management software;
- Process data from the accounting cycle in accordance with accounting principles;
- Collaboratively manage payroll in accordance with norms and standards;
- Contribute effectively to sound financial management of the company;
- Provide support in the area of income tax.